Thursday, October 8, 2009

Stumbling

Isaiah 30:21 Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it. "

I take medications at bedtime for various medical conditions. Typically, these meds knock me out and I sleep well. But occasionally, I wake up to make a mid-morning trek to the bathroom and well, I stumble out of bed, stumble down the hallway and into the bath. It's like the blind leading the blind because the bedroom is black, the hallway is black and I have to put my hands along the wall to feel my way along. I'm close to the road but off the path so to speak.

Have you ever stumbled in the dark trying to find your way spiritually? I know I have many times, more than I care to count. For me the nighttime stumbling in the dark is not scary, but it is clumsy and it is like driving bumper cars while groggy from sleep. I hit the wall and straighten up. Then I hit the wall again.

Funny thing is though that this stumbling around in the dark doesn't have to be. We have someone who lights the way before us. We have someone who reminds us, "This is the way; walk in it." And better yet, we have a shepherd to takes us by the hand and leads us in the paths of righteousness. I am constantly aware of my need for a brighter flashlight, a copilot, a shepherd and a hand to lead me. And maybe the next time I stumble down the hallway, I'll take the hand of the one who knows the way.
Psalm 119. 105--Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my clumsy path (paraphrase-emphasis mine).

No comments: