Thursday, September 11, 2008

Reflection on 9/11

I'm sure that I am one of millions out there contemplating this life changing day. My heart goes out to all of those who have lost loved ones. My heart goes out to the thousands of workers who are now suffering ill effects from the debris, dust, ash and smoke they ingested during the days that followed the attacks. However, my heart was not as heavy today as at was in years past. Perhaps it is because I did not spend hours glued to the television screen this morning... perhaps because I was just too busy to truly reflect. I consider this a shame given the fact that a mere seven years have passed since 9/11.

My good friend Annette reminded me that as Americans we're to take time out to pray for our nation. Unfortunately, I did not hear of this appeal until after lunch time. Again, I found myself preoccupied and too busy to slow down long enough to pray.

When I arrived home tonight at 7:30 p.m, I had time to eat some pizza and to check my Facebook account. There I saw that another friend had sent me a piece of "flair" admonishing me to remember 9/11. So friends, it is now time to reflect, to remember and to pray for this great nation we do live in. Excuse me while I block out all of my personal distractions to pray.

Until next time, breathe.

No comments: