Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Blessed




I realize now more than ever that Greenwood, SC is home. I wasn't so sure that I would ever want to venture back to Greenwood after my first visit back in 1995 or 96. We were driving to Fripp Island for a week-long vacation and my husband's friend and mentor Earl asked us to detour a little and come west to see GWD. It seemed to me at the time that Greenwood was just a tiny town out in the sticks!! And yet to many people it is homey, friendly and welcoming.

Our buddies Earl and Teresa put us up in a beautiful lakefront apartment for the night and fed us grilled steak, baked potatoes and something else, probably strawberry pie (all GWD favorites). They also treated us to a pontoon ride under the stars. I couldn't wait to get my toes in the sand on Fripp Island, but at the same time, our hosts extended to us great southern hospitality. And now all these years later, we live on Lake Greenwood. My husband has a wonderful job working side by side with Earl. We are riding around on that same pontoon boat every weekend, although now it is docked at our place.

We have lived in Sheraden, and Crafton PA, Laurel MD, Savage MD, Columbia MD, Fleetwood PA, and Oley PA and now reside in Greenwood. These locales all have a special place in my heart, but I see that SC was meant to be. I'm still a Yankee to some, but I am a content Yankee, one who feels so blessed by the direction our lives have taken. Really, it is God who brought us here for his purposes. I believe we are now able to extend that same southern hospitality to those who cross our path.

1 comment:

The Swell Guy said...

I don't know how I missed this post! I love you, baby.