Monday, December 7, 2009

When I Grow Up

This post is about me deciding what I want to be when I grow up. At age 45, I think I have finally figured this out, but God is still revealing to me His plan for my life. My pastor often tells the teenagers at NC not to be so concerned about what college they go to, or what career path they should choose. He states that it is far more important as a follower of Christ to listen to what God says is His will for your life. Kids today are forced to declare a career "path" at such an early age! How many of us adults can say we stuck to the career we chose at 18 or 22 when we graduated from college? I know of very few adults who are in that situation, with the exception of a few teachers, and business professionals. Otherwise, for them and for me, life has taken them in a completely different direction. And a lot of them would say that that now it has become about God's will and not necessarily their will. Surrendering has led to new opportunities they never dreamed of.

Item #27 on my 101 List says: Decide what I want to be when I grow up!!!!!!!!!!! A medical assistant or something better? I am listening to my pastor when he talks to the young people in our church. I am listening intently---and I am no longer on a quest to decide what I want to be. I have been a medical assistant off and on for more than twenty years, a freelance writer, a medical transcriptionist, Girl Friday for my husband's office, mother of two and a wife of 25 years. I have volunteered in countless ministries and served as a Nursery Director, youth worker, cafeteria aide, etc. in the church at large. Each of these roles has been fulfilling in its own way.

But it is not about a particular career path for me anymore. It is now a matter of listening and serving when there is a need, be it with children, teens, women my own age, my grown children and more importantly, the downtrodden, the outcasts, the widows and the poor and needy. I am finding so much joy and fulfillment here in this place. I am growing up and loving the ride my God is taking me on. So, it's time to cross #27 off my list because I am finally at peace with being Denine, wife, mother and servant. Living for Him is just way better.

No comments: